Joint Research Centres
Australia-China Joint Research Centres (JRCs) are supported under the Australia-China Science and Research Fund (ACSRF). JRCs are virtual centres that link Australian and Chinese research institutions conducting a portfolio of research-related activities in priority areas agreed to by the Australian and Chinese governments. JRCs link Australian and Chinese research institutions to build research capacity, maximise the application and commercialisation of research outcomes, and boost collaboration between researchers and industry.
JRCs’ activities include:
- Joint research programmes with Chinese partner/s
- Conferences, workshops and symposia
- Exchanges and secondments of personnel between Australia and China
- New research-related information sharing and communication initiatives
- JRCs must demonstrate a clear path to utilisation of the research outcomes. To this end applications are required to have an Australian industry or other end-user partner in addition to a Chinese partner.
Australian research partners of each successful JRC will receive grants of up to $1 million in total up to three years, with the Chinese government supporting its respective Chinese partners.
Next round of JRCs
The priority areas for Round 3 of the ACSRF Joint Research Centres are:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Astronomy related technology, including big data
- New materials in manufacturing
- Cross-cutting technologies that will de-risk, scale up, and add value to manufactured products
- Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals
- Effective technologies for individuals to manage their own health care
- Better models of health care and services
- Resources and Energy
- Low emission energy production from fossil fuels and other sources
- New clean energy sources and storage technologies and demand response technologies that are efficient, cost-effective and reliable
The Round is expected to open in the second half of 2017.
JRC Round 2
Under Round 2 of JRCs, announced in December 2015, a $5.95 million investment in stronger innovation and science links with China is helping address challenges in the marine science, food and agribusiness, and mining equipment technology and services sectors.
The Round 2 JRCs are:
For more information about JRCs, please contact:
Phone: +61 6276 1093 (Hours of operation: 9am - 5pm (AEST) Monday-Friday)
Or email: email@example.com.
The ACSRF provided funding to the following six JRCs as part of Round 1, which were announced in December 2012: